What do you do when you have zuchinnis coming out the whazoo? You make zuchinni muffins of course! I created this recipe during the summer when my room mate kept coming home from his parents farm with giant zuchinnis. I could barely look at a zuchinni by the time I decided to make them into muffins. I normally don’t eat a lot of muffins so I was wanting to create something healthy and tasty. This is what I came up with:
1 2/3 C whole-wheat flour 730 cals
1/4 sugar 180 cals
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice 10 cals
1 1/4 tsp baking powder 10 cals
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 C shredded zuchinni 30 cals
1/2 C skim milk 35 cals
1 Tbs unsweetened apple sauce 20 cals
2 Tbs honey 60 cals
1 large egg 80 cals
1/4 C chocolate chips 280 cals
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees. Spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with knife. Combine flour with the next 6 ingredients (to the salt inclusive), and mix in large bowl.
2. Combine zuchinni, milk, applesauce, honey and egg in a bowl and stir until blended.
3. Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour in wet mixture. Stir until combined and moist. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups or 24 mini muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
4. Optional: sprinkle top of muffins with cinnamon and sugar.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or golden brown for large muffins, and 11 minutes or until golden brown for mini muffins. Remove from pans immediately and place on cooling rack.
Mini muffins equal approximately 85 calories per muffin. Mini muffins with chocolate chips equal approximately 11o calories.
Dia! (Efik language Bon appetit!)